rally.ie logo

Motorsport Ireland Covid-19 Statement

Posted: May 27, 2020 12:38 PM - 4360 Hits

Motorsport Ireland Covid-19 Statement - 27 May 20

Posted: May 27, 2020 12:38 PM

Dear Motorsport Community

As we are half way through Phase 1 of the Government Roadmap for Reopening Society & Business we thought it was time to give you all an update on where things are within Motorsport and what the remainder of the year might look like. We are still on track to reopen some disciplines once we have reached Phase 4 on the 20th July 2020 and with everything going according to plan rallying can potentially recommence once we reach Phase 5 on the 10th August 2020. However, both dates rely on the country achieving the goals set out by the Government and should there be any changes to the dates in either direction then we will react accordingly.

We set up an expert group to create guidelines describing what a return to sport will look like for each discipline and what changes we will have to adopt in order to comply with Government guidelines at that particular time and as we all know this whole situation is very fluid. If there is an increase in people with Covid-19 no doubt Government guidelines will harden but if all goes well then perhaps those same guidelines may change or soften. The brief of the expert group, under the direction of the Chair of the Safety Commission is to “Find a practical approach for the return of motorsport while at all times keeping safe our volunteers, competitors and the wider community” It contains experienced people from a variety of disciplines and of course has medical representation.

The report from this group will be completed in the next few weeks and once we have that it will be shared will all our clubs, probably around the 25th June when we will almost have completed Phase 2. At this point, all of us will have been allowed to travel up to 20km from home and more retail outlets etc will be open so there will be an increased element of normality.

As we said previously, the calendar for the remainder of 2020 will stay intact, however at this point any club that feels they cannot run an event in their locality should withdraw that event from the calendar and their deposit will be refunded. Once we have a clear picture of what the remainder of the year looks like we will be circulating a calendar early July for the remainder of the year to all clubs so that any club that is in a position to run later in the year will know what dates are available.

Once we reach Phase 4 on the 20th July we will be able to travel outside of the 20km limit so there will be a meeting of all clubs on Saturday 25th July 2020, location to be decided as we do not know what the criteria will be for such a meeting at that time. We will start the meeting in the morning and the intention is to have a calendar for the remainder of 2020 before we leave, so we will need decisions made on the day by the clubs attending.

Certainly the first phase of return will be events held at fixed venues where access to the site can be controlled and we know that Mondello Park have significant work done in this area but the criteria will be outlined in the document which will be circulated around the 25th June 2020.

Government guidelines will always dictate what and when it happens, but the Government has laid out a road to return and we while adhering fully to those guidelines intend to have motorsport back as soon as possible. We continue to keep in close communication with Sport Ireland and the Minister for Sport and Tourism and to seek clarification on the anomalies that affect motorsport.

We hope that this proves helpful and remember together we can recover from this. We are a voluntary organisation so, to be very clear, no club or person will be forced to participate, the choice will always remain with the individual and it is always a case of “Health First”.

As always, our thoughts are with the families of the people that this horrible virus has affected.

Leo Hassett
CEO, Motorsport Ireland

John Naylor
President, Motorsport Ireland

Motorsport Ireland Covid-19 Statement - 6 May 20

Posted: May 6, 2020 11:07 AM

Following the most recent announcements from Taoiseach Leo Varadkar and in keeping with all government guidelines, the Motor Sport Council decided at a meeting last night to extend the suspension of all Motorsport Ireland permitted events until the 20th July 2020 in alignment with the Government Roadmap for Reopening, Phase 4. Rally events will not be considered until after the 10th August 2020 as they fall under Phase 5 of the guidelines. These dates may have to be revised if there are changes to government policy. The Motor Sport Council does not see our sport returning completely at that time, but in a phased manner which will be done in agreement with our individual clubs.

The calendar for the remainder of 2020 will stay intact, however any club that feels they should not run an event in their locality will be free to withdraw that event from the calendar. Once we have a clear picture of what the remainder of the year looks like we will be in a position to possibly fill any gaps with events that were cancelled but are still in a position to run later in the year.

The running of a motorsport event involves the support of several stakeholders and we will need their support for our sport to return. Some of them may not be in a position to give so freely of their time and some may have suffered financial hardship so all of these topics will be discussed when we can assemble the event organisers as a group. We are a voluntary organisation and will continue to be that so no one will be forced to participate at any stage, it is a case of “Health First”.

With the introduction of our new online licensing system later in the Summer we will now offer National 12-month Licences, meaning they will expire 12 months after issue unlike the current expiration date of 30th June or 31st December.

Government guidelines will at all times dictate what and when it happens, but the Taoiseach has laid out a road to return and when it is appropriate, motorsport will do so. We will continue to give ourselves options as we are only entering the fifth month of the year and to do anything else would be previous. It is our hope that we will see the return of some events in 2020 but it cannot be guaranteed at this time. We will continue to review the situation based on governmental data and look to be prepared when the time is right.

We are in constant communication with Sport Ireland and the Minister for Sport and Tourism. We are conscious of the large economic impact that Motorsport has on our communities nationally and will play our role at the appropriate time in contributing to Ireland’s recovery.

As always, our thoughts are with the families of the people that this horrible virus has affected.

Motorsport Ireland Covid-19 Statement - 20 Mar 20

Posted: March 20, 2020 11:31 AM

"As a consequence of the ongoing health emergency and in accordance with the measures being implemented globally to counteract and contain the spread of COVID-19, all events permitted by Motorsport Ireland are suspended until the 1st June 2020. This date may be revised but we will at all times be guided by government policy and what is the right thing to do on a national level.

All clubs affected by this suspension of events will be reimbursed the deposits which they have paid to Motorsport Ireland and we encourage those clubs to work directly with us with a view to hopefully running their events at a later time. These are extraordinary times, such as we have not experienced before, but the one thing that is certain is that we will come out of this, unfortunately no one can put a time on when that will be.

Our thoughts go out to the victims and their families that the virus has affected and to all those club members who for months have been devoting time and energy to the preparation of their 2020 events. We share their disappointment and wish to express our solidarity and support. Motorsport Ireland"

Motorsport Ireland Covid-19 Statement - 12 Mar 20

Posted: March 12, 2020 10:50 AM

"An Taoiseach Leo Varadkar’s statement this morning in relation to the COVID-19 Virus stated that all indoor gatherings of 100 people and all outdoor events of 500 people should be cancelled from 6pm tonight, March 12th to March 29th 2020.

Motorsport Ireland will therefore support this and has suspended all events until this date. We will endeavour to work with the clubs affected to try and reschedule new dates.
We will continue to evaluate the situation and play our part in the greater national interest."

Yours in Motorsport,
Leo Hassett
Motorsport Ireland

Topics: Motorsport Ireland 

Upcoming Events

 Past Events

 Future Events