Manx National Rally - 14-15 May 21 - CANCELLED

Posted: January 25, 2021 2:30 PM - 454 Hits

Manx National Rally Cancelled due to Covid-19

Posted: January 25, 2021 2:30 PM

Organisers of the Manx National Rally are disappointed to announce that the 2021 event, planned for 14th and 15th of May will not go ahead due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation.

Manx Auto Sport, organiser and promoter of the Ise of Man-based closed-road event had been in the advanced stages of planning for the popular two-day rally which would see a host of competitors from across the UK and beyond contest over 120 stage miles across the island’s roads.

However, due to the uncertainties surrounding the Coronavirus pandemic, the restrictions imposed by the UK and Isle of Man authorities, current lockdown legislation and implications of running a large-scale event which brings around 1000 people from the UK mainland to the island, organisers have no choice but to cancel the May event. A primary consideration being to safeguard our island residents, landowners, spectators, volunteers, and competitors.

Mark Quayle, Clerk of the Course, said
“Manx Auto Sport regrets to announce that the 2021 Manx National Rally will not go ahead. Much like last year, this has not been an easy decision for the organising team who have been working hard behind the scenes to deliver another memorable rally on the island.

But with so many uncertainties with restrictions and the large number of officials, competitors, support teams and volunteers that we draw in from the UK and even further afield, it would be impossible to predict the situation in May. We have left our decision as late as possible, but we have reached a critical stage in our planning and it is not possible to guarantee that an event of such a large scale could go ahead.”

Minister for Enterprise, Laurence Skelly MHK, said
“Whilst we are obviously very disappointed in the cancellation, we do understand the reasons for this and the difficulty in proceeding with such a commitment with the levels of uncertainty still in place. We have every confidence that the organisers will be able to bring back the event with a strong return, and as a Department we look forward to welcoming visitors once again to our wonderful Island when the time is right.”

Mark Quayle, continues,
“As part of our planning activities for the Manx National Rally we included a contingency plan should Covid-19 prevent that event from going ahead. We are pleased to advise that preparations are at an advanced stage to host a one-day event on Saturday 15th May for islanders, should local restrictions allow. Of course, it is not what we had hoped to be running but we are eager to offer our club competitors and volunteers something to look forward to during May”.

“We are of course disappointed that we cannot welcome the huge contingent that comes over from the UK to the rally, but we want to make sure the local crews have something to look forward to”.

“You can be assured that the team will be back stronger than ever. We look forward to welcoming everyone back to the Manx National Rally in the future.

I`d also like to stress that the PokerStars Rally, scheduled to run on 1st and 2nd October will go ahead as normal should the current restrictions be lifted and I`d like to thank our members, supporters and championships for their backing in this tough period for us all.”

Classified Ads

 Add a Classified

 All Classifieds




Twitter Feed